No image available

Wallace Ramage


6th Infantry Battalion

Medals Earned

  • British War Medal
  • 1914-15 Star
  • Victory Medal

Tree Information

  • Species: Ulmus Sp.
  • Planted By: Miss F. Jacobi
  • Plaque: 45

Additional Info

Share Your Story

Do you know more? You can share your personal stories and photos on the ANZAC Centenary website.


Wallace William Ramage enlisted in the Australian Imperial Forces at Eastern Hill Depot, Melbourne, on 17th August 1914. He was single, and 24 years old. He was employed in Ballarat as a telegraph assistant. Private Ramage, as a member of the 6th Battalion, took part in the Landing at Anzac Cove in the second wave ashore on 25th April 1915. Ten days after the Landing the 6th Battalion, as part of the 2nd Brigade, was moved Cape Helles to help in an attack on Krithia. . The attack captured little ground but cost the 2nd Brigade almost a third of its strength in killed and wounded. The Brigade was brought back to Gallipoli. The 6th Battalion occupied its sector of the trenches in Gallipoli, and was in an active state of war during the period that Private Wallace Ramage was with them. Apart from the normal Rifleman duties, he would be required, on a rota basis, to return to the beach and fetch drinking water for his platoon, as well as other carrying and message running tasks.

Private Wallace Ramage was promoted Corporal on 4th August 1915. On 25th July he was promoted to Sergeant. The German reaction to the Australian's new trench was savage, and they were shelled for 24hours. During this awful baptism of trench warfare Sergeant Ramage was wounded by shrapnel., when he suffered severe contusions to his back. He was evacuated to the No.5 General Hospital at Rouen on 27th July 1916. The Germans launched their last big push in March, and in April the battalion was relocated with orders to attack in the area of Hazebrouck and Nieppe Forest. During fighting in this general location Sergeant Ramage was severely wounded by shrapnel from and exploding artillery shell on 29th April 1918. He evacuated through the medical system to Edmonton General Military Hospital in Middlesex ,England, on 3rd May 1918, where he was treated for wounds to his face, right arm and right leg.

Although he had recovered from his wounds the terminology of 'Discharged Medically Unfit' ensured that should he have a relapse, or suffer later as a result of his wounds, he would be treated at the Government's expense. Tree No. 45, an elm, was planted in the Ballarat Avenue by Miss F. Jacobi, a 'Lucas Girl', on 4th June 1917.

Location in Ballarat Avenue of Honour