No image available

George P. Warner

Lance Corporal

2nd Field Company Engineers

Medals Earned

  • British War Medal
  • 1914-15 Star
  • Military Medal
  • Victory Medal

Tree Information

  • Species: Ulmus Sp.
  • Planted By: Miss A. Petersen
  • Plaque: 635

Additional Info

Share Your Story

Do you know more? You can share your personal stories and photos on the ANZAC Centenary website.


George Joseph Warner was born in Melbourne, VIC and was an Engineer in Ballarat when he enlisted in the 2nd Field Company Engineers, Reinforcement 5 on 24 February 1915 at the age of 18. His unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A30 Hororata on 17 April 1915. On June 2nd he landed at Gallipoli and served through until the December evacuation with the 2nd Field Company. In March 1916, while in Egypt, he was hospitalised with scabies, but in August he was able to move to France with the 15th Field Company. On October 26th 1917 he was wounded in action in Belgium, suffering a gunshot wound to his arm, which necessitated his evacuation to the Eastbourne Military Hospital in England.

While he was recovering, he received the news that he had been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry during an operation three weeks before he was wounded, his citation reading 'During the operations east of YPRES on 4th October 1917, he was one of a party engaged on the construction of a Strong Point near MOLENAARELSTHOEK. He performed with excellent skill and judgment the additional duties which fell to his lot as a consequence of the wounding of two senior NCOs. When his section was relieved at night he displayed unselfish gallantry remaining behind to assist in carrying a wounded comrade to the dressing station, this was a laborious and dangerous task, involving a two mile journey over shell swept and muddy ground.' Once recovered from his arm wound, he returned to his unit in France in March 1918 but on August 24th he was again wounded. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his right foot and wrist. Again he was evacuated to hospital in England where it was determined that his war was over. He was returned to Australia on the Takada, disembarked at Melbourne on February 11th 1919 and was discharged as æmedically unfit – disability – GSW right foot'.
Tree No. 635

Location in Ballarat Avenue of Honour